[Scummvm-devel] Keymapper Update

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Thu Jul 17 00:20:07 CEST 2008

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:05:15 +0100
"Stephen Kennedy" <djkennyd at googlemail.com> wrote:

[Clever thoughts skipped.] Yes, that's about it. Also consider that
save/load screen is potentially different keymap as well, and also that
there could exist several global keymaps too. I.e. one is superglobal
for events like QUIT, one used by the launcher and yet another one
could be used by our global save/load menu which is par of Chris' task.

> - when it comes to the actual mapping the keymapper will *not*
> generate events of type EVENT_USERACTION, instead it will just map
> from one keypress event (with a KeyState that was defined in a
> HardwareKey struct) to the event of the matching UserAction. The
> UserAction event will probably be a keypress event (e.g. for SCUMM's
> Menu UserAction the event will be an F5 keypress)
It may also generate more than one keypress, i.e. Ctrl+V. In SCUMM
engine during INSANE scene those are 2 distinct keypresses.

> - integration with virtual keyboard - do we want virtual keyboard to
> always produce the key press events of its keys, or do we want them to
> be run though the keymapper? Im pretty sure its the former, because
> when entering a save game name, we don't want a virtual key press to
> be mapped to a different key
No, VK is keymapper-independent.

> - if there are too many UserActions for the number of hardware keys
> then we could have one key reserved to display a pop-up menu for all
> the UserActions that could not be mapped
Good idea. Though it should be done re-mappable, i.e. in case you will
have 5 hardware keys and are really really want to use them all as the
game controls.

Eugene