[Scummvm-devel] PlayStation2 Backend Updates & Patch!

sunmax at libero.it sunmax at libero.it
Thu Jul 17 17:46:14 CEST 2008

Ciao Max & Team!

> so, what about that patch?

I know, I am an italian snail ;-)

I will be able to get back to PS2 tonight or tomorrow,
if in the meanwhile you could go ahead and commit on my
behalf (sorry!) that would speed things up, I am still
a bit scared about commiting to the trunk ;-)

My fear will pass over time!

> Also, I'd like to point out this forum thread,
> were a guy offers suggestions and some patches
> for the PS2 work:

Couple of points are definetely interesting, like all
the PS2 slim stuff, cause I have a "chubby" one, and
I would have missed those ones.

I am going to buy soon an used PS2 slim, and one of
this special memory card that I need to be able to
reproduce one of the bugs in my TODO. Unluckily
most of the PS2 bugs are "launcher/drivers" related,
more than "scummvm" related...

Anyway I have plenty of ScummVM/PS2 time in August
so I will try to give it a boost!

>> Checking for EISDIR won't work with mass:.

That was addressed in release 0.11.0 but never made it
to the trunk, if we commit my patch, this will get
sorted automatically ;-)

>> Quit should call mc0:/BOOT/BOOT.ELF

Not really, only for people that use the MC trick to
"unlock" their PS2, won't to any good for everybody else.

You see, Max, the fact is that there are 3 or 4 different
ways to boot scummvm on a PS2, so it's a bit trickier than
other backends, cause when you change something (e.g. quit,
etc.) you have to do it 3 or 4 times :-()

We should add a layer of abstraction, so that different
"hacking" systems on the PS2 (modchip, diskswap, MC, etc.)
are handled differently on ScummVM side.

My dream is still to get it going with as less hacking
as possible (virtually no hacking/modding at all if the
AudioCD thing should work), so that all this won't be
any longer be an issue.

>> TocManager is buggy and the whole caching system needs
>> a rewrite

I fully agree. It's "patched in my patch", but in urge of
a rewrite and integration with ScummVM File & Nodes.

Am I allowed to fix this for 0.12.0 or this kind of change
will have to wait for the next release (maybe safer).

>> Ps2UsbSaveFileManager

>> needs an intermediate abstract class

Yes.

My vision is a unified save/config filemanager that will let
you store your saved games and config files on any RW media:
MC, USB, HD, remote.

I can surely use some of his code in our future integrated
PS2 filemanager.

Just my 2 cents,
 -max