[Scummvm-devel] PS2 backend - up & running (almost)

sunmax at libero.it sunmax at libero.it
Mon Nov 3 18:04:37 CET 2008

Hi there!

(1)  AboutDialog ctr and (**iter) crash

Ok, got it!

 _pluginObject is NULL

in [ Plugin::getName() : base/plugins.cpp @50 ]

even if the iterator is still valid. Trying to call
a method on that [ _pluginObject->getName() ] causes
the TLB fetch exception :-(

Any idea on what may be causing that ?
(I mean: valid iter, null object)

If I see correctly, nothing changed in AboutDialog ctr
from 0.12.0 so the root should be somewhere else.
I assume this is a ScummVM PS2 exclusive bug ;-)

Let me know if you need extra details, I'll be glad
to provide them!

Idem for get (**iter)->getCopyright :

the first 2 iterations in AboutDialog ctr are fine,
on the third it crashes. Can somebody explain me why
with "getName()" we use member "." for the method,
but "->" for getCopyright() ?

They are both called on (**iter).

(2)  Uh, what's my backend again ?

I think ScummVM PS2 is affected by Alzheimer, when I set
"Theme Path:" using the dialog, then do "OK", since I am
skeptical by nature I go back to check that it kept the
path, but it actually says "None" :-(

Themes used to work on PS in 0.12.0 if you kept them in
the folder where ScummVM was launched. It's no longer
the case.

"Paths" need some re-engineering on PS2 cause in the
original implementation you were only allowed to save
on Memory Cards, so "Save Path" always defaults to
"/foo/bar"...

As soon as we get PS2 backend in the condition to start
some game I will address this issue.

 (yeah, and as reported to me, clicking on "Misc/Theme"
  crashes too)

 (yeah, and it crashes on "Quit" too...)

Ok, last minute update: if I try to force the full path
name in LoadTheme, something as dumb as:

 fileName =
   "mass:/scummvm/scummvm-0.13.0svn/scummmodern.zip";

now it fails in unzip.cpp (@ 1380) where in the ZipArchive
ctr unzOpen returns NULL for _zipFile.

Is my stupid hack doomed to fail ?
(the file of course is there ;-)

If this is not the case, then I will trace FSNode
on the PS2 side and see where it misses.

(3)  ScummVM PS2 pics

See my pics "button_?" and "list_?" to see the misplaced
button on mouse over and the tiny scroll-list to add games.

I apologize for the lousy quality, taken with my mobile:

button_0 : (damned Florida sun, it goes everywhere...)
           ok, fresh boot, all the buttons are in place
           N: we could use some space-saving and gain the
           precious pixels between the buttons rows back
           to the list

button_1 : closeup of "Load" - note: the color are wrong
           "Load" is supposed to be disabled but it does
           actually react to mouse over...

button_2 : see? both "About" (enabled) and "Load" (dis-)
           reacted on mouse over and they are both 1 extra
           pixel up and left

button_3 : moving the pointer out does not help, it stays
           misplaced

list_0 : yeah, this picture sucks, but shows the point:
         see what the poor PS2 users are left to choose
         games from?

(4)  Pixelformat

I like the new GUI but it feels a bit slower on PS2 when
moving the pointer around. Maybe my eyes are deceived cause
the colors look wrong so my perception is different. I will
get the latest SVN during the week-end (uff, 5 days to go)
and of course implement the new pixelformat stuff ;-)

Looking forward to your ideas and feedback!

Thanks,
 -max