[Scummvm-devel] DOSBox Developers ask for help with new AdLib emulator

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 21:38:59 CET 2008

Hi,

I guess as most of you know our rather old MAME based AdLib emulator has
some problems. They are noticeable for example in the KYRA engine. Maybe
other engines as well, I got told at least that the Indy4 intro sounds
horrible with our emulator, though I didn't check it against the new
MAME emulator (yet). Since the new MAME code is released under a non GPL
compatible license it is not usable for us anyway.

Today I got contacted by c2woody, one of the DOSBox developers, about
their new (L)GPL AdLib emulator. They still search someone to give them
a helping hand on it. Since we would have a benefit of a new AdLib
emulator too he  thought whether we have anyone on the team, who would
be interested in contributing to it.

He gave me some links, who could be checked by interested people, to
check if they think of being able to handle it.

First of all there's Ken Silverman's AdLib emulator available on his
homepage: http://advsys.net/ken/ksmsongs.zip. From how I got it the new
AdLib emulator is based on this one, since it's under the LGPL. The
package also includes a DOS program to be used with an AdLib device. It
might be helpful to compare output against a real AdLib device or
DOSBox' current AdLib emulator.

Second there's Silverman's AdLib emulator integrated into AdPlug:
http://adplug.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/adplug/adplug/src/adlibemu.h?revision=1.2&view=markup
http://adplug.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/adplug/adplug/src/adlibemu.c?revision=1.2&view=markup
This might be helpful for testing and/or to integrate the emulator in
ScummVM for simple tests, since it removes the inline ASM usage which
the original emulator had.

If someone feels like he is able to work with that code and/or being
able to compare the output against other AdLib emulators or even real
AdLib devices, the DOSBox Team would be happy to get contacted via
dosbox.crew at gmail.com.

// Johannes