[Scummvm-devel] RTL branch to be merged (relevant for *all* developers)

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Sep 1 22:18:46 CEST 2008

Am 01.09.2008 um 20:23 schrieb Johannes Schickel:

> On Monday 01 September 2008 19:53:35 Max Horn wrote:
>> P.P.S: And yet another thing I forgot: Chris also tried to fix the
>> Audio::Mixer::SoundType usage in engines: E.g. some engines used the
>> SFX type for both speech and sfx, thus making it impossible for users
>> to set the according volumes independently. He changed (fixed ?) that
>> in some of the engines already. It's not a serious issue, but engine
>> authors may want to check their engines for this.
>
> For Kyra and AdLib that's not possible, since there's no way to
> determin if a
> track played is a SFX or music. At least not with major changes to
> the AdLib
> driver. The original didn't support that either.
>
> It affects only Kyrandia 1 though, since Kyra2 and Kyra3 are using
> digital
> sound tracks for that. Kyra2 has some AdLib effects though, so it's
> not
> always working there.

Sure. The same problem affects SCUMM, and probably other engines.
That's OK of course -- the intention is not to force anybody to do
major work just for this minor thing, but in some cases, it was low
hanging fruits...

In fact the plan was/is to make it possible for (meta)engines to
indicate with a flag which kinds of "sound volume" a game supports, to
dynamically show/hide/rename the respective volume sliders in the
options dialog.