[Scummvm-devel] Fwd: PS2 : stack madness

sunmax at libero.it sunmax at libero.it
Tue Apr 7 22:18:05 CEST 2009

Hi there!

> Good, that looks indeed like a stack smasher

Yes. It seems some way resolution related...

> > Can we force COMI to start (well, kinda...) at 320x240 and see
> > if this makes a difference?
>
> Not really.

... everything is possible ;-)

If we force screenWidth = 320 and  _screenHeight = 240 in
scumm.cpp initGraphics the stack corruption seems (I better
be careful - sometime they come back) to go away.

Of course it's completely useless to run COMI, but it  might
give us some more hints (luckily is not a red herring)

All this falls back to the the PS2 backend where the EE buffer
where Scumm is rendering before we upload them as textures are
allocated - weirdly enough does not matter how big those buffers
are (I tried to allocate them 4/8x bigger), If scumm.cpp width and
height are 640x480 we got the stack smash. So it does not seems so
straightforward as just writing pass one of those buffers.

> That's all up to the GUI code. Which indeed may do things
> differently in a different resolution

Yes, that's what I meant.

Is there any way the scaler setting might influence that?

(similarly to the crash with Sam'n'Max Help - which was only
happening with a certain configuration).

More questions:

1. Which other portions of the platform backend could be affected
   by a higher scr resolution? (I think I checked the checkable
   but you never know...)

2. Is there a downloadable demo of a later HE game that uses
   Scumm engine at 640x480? So that we can broaden our tests?

> Yeah, we'll squish 'em ;)

We shall overcome!

Thanks!
 -max