[Scummvm-devel] Demo hosting

Robert Megone silver_coast at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 26 23:03:43 CEST 2009

Hello,
It came to my attention today that we do not have a unified place where all the available demos are hosted.
After a quick discussion with jvprat, I bought myself an unlimited hosting package and propose that part of it
gets used for hosting ScummVM demos, or whatever else is needed.

I have unlimited storage and transfer, and have uploaded some GOB demos as a proof of concept

http://robertmegone.com/scummvm/

perhaps we could pre-pend scummvm.org with 'demos' and point to this location, or find a maintainer for the demos page
and simply link to my page.

If you think that this is a good idea then please help by suggesting naming conventions and archive formats etc...
During discussion with jvprat it was decided that the current naming convention is probably too complicated(long)

something like the gameID would be better, and something to distinguish between interactive and non-interactive demos.
e.g urban-noninteractive.zip , urban-interactive.zip

Archive formats are another important factor.  We have to consider both compression levels and availability of decompressors on various platforms.

While I have currently used *.RAR its not a particularly good format, *.7z is a good format but probably not widespread enough.
any thoughts on *.ZIP? since it is both widely available and pretty standard.

This will only work with input from you all, so please tell me what you think :)

Robert Megone (sanguinehearts)