[Scummvm-devel] Moving platform specific (down)scalers into the core of ScummVM

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Aug 4 10:31:25 CEST 2009

Am 02.08.2009 um 20:27 schrieb Kostas Nakos:

[...]

> <snip>
>> * Can we make all the downscaler functionality definable, maybe
>> separate
>> from upscale scalers (chances are, if a platform needs a downscaler
>> its not
>> going to need an upscaler but that may not always be true, 800*600
>> and
>> 320*2xx games on a 640*480 device in the future maybe?)
>>
>> I actually think the work need not be that major (famous last
>> words) but it
>> would require involvement of a most porters (or at least a
>> consensus) and
>> some design steering from the core team. As it is well outside of
>> my area
>> it's not really my place to try and push a specific design/idea for
>> selfish
>> reasons.
>
> Yes we need a game plan for this. The wiki page for the small
> devices is
> a good start, but I think it has to get more technical before
> implementation can take place.

Actually, I am not sure that we need to write more docs or need
community meetings or whatever. Just take a set of downscalers (well,
only one for starters, I don't mind). Then write a patch which
"cleanly" modifies the SDL backend to use downscalers. Maybe as I
suggested using a second alternate
"internalUpdateScreen_for_downscaling" method. If the code is clean,
we can then instantly rebase all the SDL derived backends to use this
common code... At least in theory. If there are problems, porters will
tell us, we can react and fix the issues, rince and repeat :)

Less talk, more code :)