[Scummvm-devel] Lure of the Temptress uncompletable on 1.0.0

Thierry Crozat thierry.crozat at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 18 16:28:29 CEST 2009

I was wondering the same thing. I tried your save game and got the problem you
describe. I definitelly passed that point when I played.Maybe I was lucky, or it
is possible that the french version (the one I played) behaves differently from the
english one.

> > As for the pathfinding, even though the pathfinding code is based on a clean
> > reimplementation of a disassembly of the original game's code, as far as I'm
> > aware they should be identical. One minor possibility is that I've never
> > been 100% sure if the code for handling 'bumping' is 100% the same as the
> > original - I suspect that the ScummVM version displays bump dialogues a bit
> > more frequently than the original, but this shouldn't affect the actual
> > movement of characters.
>
> Well, it might be the bumping, but in scummvm I feel much less
> control. It's sometimes downright HARD to talk to a character, with
> the protagonist walking around the screen for a minute and then giving
> up, both he and NPC displaying the question mark, and then retrying
> after the NPC moved a bit and again and only succeeding at the fourth
> attempt.
>
> Granted, I only played the original version for so much time so it
> could just be a chance impression, plus it doesn't make it unplayable;
> but it's at times _very_ annoying and it's something you might want to
> take a look at when you have some time.

I have got the same (very frustating at times) experience. I never reported it
because I never played the original and don't know if it was better or not.
However when I played Lure this time with 1.0.0pre it seemed worse than
what I remembered playing the game with 0.13.0. Coming back to that
version convinced me that it was a false impression as it was as bad there
than it is with 1.0.0pre. Maybe your impressions with the original version are
likewise distorded.

Thierry