[Scummvm-devel] Lure of the Temptress uncompletable on 1.0.0

Rafał Rzepecki divided.mind at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 18:25:30 CEST 2009

2009/8/18 Rafał Rzepecki <divided.mind at gmail.com>:
> 2009/8/18 Thierry Crozat <thierry.crozat at yahoo.co.uk>:
>> From: Rafał Rzepecki <divided.mind at gmail.com>
>>
>>> Well, it might be the bumping, but in scummvm I feel much less
>>> control. It's sometimes downright HARD to talk to a character, with
>>> the protagonist walking around the screen for a minute and then giving
>>> up, both he and NPC displaying the question mark, and then retrying
>>> after the NPC moved a bit and again and only succeeding at the fourth
>>> attempt.
>>>
>>> Granted, I only played the original version for so much time so it
>>> could just be a chance impression, plus it doesn't make it unplayable;
>>> but it's at times _very_ annoying and it's something you might want to
>>> take a look at when you have some time.
>>
>> I have got the same (very frustating at times) experience. I never reported it
>> because I never played the original and don't know if it was better or not.
>> However when I played Lure this time with 1.0.0pre it seemed worse than
>> what I remembered playing the game with 0.13.0. Coming back to that
>> version convinced me that it was a false impression as it was as bad there
>> than it is with 1.0.0pre. Maybe your impressions with the original version are
>> likewise distorded.
>
> That's entirely possible. I'll do a quick excursion to the original
> and will come back with fresh impressions.

I've just finished playing the original and it's indeed MUCH better. I
don't think I could have finished the game in ScummVM that fast in the
first place. In the original NPCs bump into each other much more
rarely; also I think in ScummVM if protagonist bumps he stops, in the
original he just routes around the stopped NPC (I remember that once
in ScummVM I had to try five times to get the protagonist to the other
end of a NPC-packed screen; he would just bump and stop). Also it
doesn't insist on the protagonist nearly hugging an NPC to talk to
them. Only once during the whole game did it happen that I couldn't
talk to someone on the first try, and it was really a corner case.
Also I have the impression that in the original fades-in and -out are
faster.

Overall, original feels much snappier, not once I've felt frustrated
during the whole game.
--
Rafał