[Scummvm-devel] dynamic plugins again

yotam barnoy yotambarnoy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 06:05:08 CEST 2009

Thanks for your reply Marcus

> 1. It looks like the plugin files are built relocatable, but not position
> > independent, correct? The reason I think this is because there is no code
> in
> > the DC loader to deal with a Global Offset Table.
>
> Correct.  This is the purpose of the "-q" flag to ld; it produces a
> binary which still contains relocation records.

OK I missed that flag. I guess I just assumed it meant quiet, which is what
it does for gcc. I forgot it could have different meaning for ld.

> Unless you compile with -G0, you'll probably need to set up the global
> data pointer as well.

Right. I deal with that by placing the short segments of  the plugin into a
hole created around the global pointer of the main executable.

I also had to add --whole-archives to the main executable which I later saw
that you did as well.

Great to know I'm on the right track :)
Thanks again,

Yotam