[Scummvm-devel] Updated Translation Patch

Alex Bevilacqua alexbevi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 16:34:24 CET 2009

Hey Max,

It's too bad that there isn't much interest, as I think this would be a
really useful addition to ScummVM (as I'm sure Jordi did when he did the
initial patch). I'm slowly getting better with the APIs, so I'll try to
maintain this a bit further when I have a chance ....

Alex

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> in principle I think it's cool that you did this, and having the ability to
> localize ScummVM would be nice (as long as it doesn't hamper small ports by
> increasing the binary/data size a lot).
>
> Unfortunately, it seems nobody in the team is sufficiently interested /
> motivated to work on this. :/. I haven't even gotten around to looking at
> your patch (which, as I see, you also submitted to our patch tracker, great
> (see <
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2903830&group_id=37116&atid=418822
> >).
>

> Am 25.11.2009 um 14:13 schrieb Alex Bevilacqua:
>

>  Hey Guys,
>>
>> I was looking into Jordi's message translation patch (
>> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1739965&group_id=37116&atid=418822)
>> and how it hadn't been updated for a while. I'm not really a scummvm pro, so
>> this isn't 100%, but it's functional in-so-far as compiling.
>>
>> I'm hoping someone can take it from here and actually get it working. I
>> had a problem getting po2c running from the common/module.mk directly as
>> part of the build process, but if you run it manually, it works.
>>

> Well, if you tell us which commands you need to run, and what the problems
> were/are, we can try to find a solution.

The problem I have is when you try to run make, it gives you the following
error "*common/module.mk:28: *** missing separator.  Stop.*" ... however if
I manually run the command (*tools/po2c $^ > common/messages.cpp*) it works
fine.

>  Basically, the scummvm.pot file can be created successfully, and you can
>> generate localizations using msginit, but I haven't been able to actually
>> utilize any of the .po files in the GUI (I updated the themes to include the
>> necessary label/dropdown though so it's there for testing).
>>

> What exactly is the stumbling block here?

I think because I'm unsure when to stick the PO files, I'm unable to test if
the localizations actually work :(