[Scummvm-devel] What is happening to the ScummVM team?

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Feb 13 03:25:02 CET 2009

Hi again,

now to the second point you address: Communications, how decisions are
made in this project, in particular regarding engine additions and (to
lesser degree) whether to merge FreeSCI.

Let me start at the end, with FreeSCI, and somewhat independantly of
the major points you raise. Mainly because as I understand it, your
mail is not about being opposed to merging FreeSCI, but rather
addresses meta-issues (valid ones, too), so I'd like to clarify the
details on that before turning to the higher level.

Yes, there have been very active talks with the FreeSCI guys on
whether (or rather: how and when) to turn FreeSCI into a ScummVM
engine. All of this can be read in <http://www-plan.cs.colorado.edu/reichenb/freesci-logs/
 >. This contains more or less all the information (at least all that
I know off - I made sure to discuss things only in logged places most
of the time). Granted, this is not very visible for the ScummVM team,
but at least you can still read up on it.

Strictly speaking, the whole merge thing is nothing new, but rather
more or less an extension of the GSoC 2008 project, and Jordi's well-
known (I think?) work on making FreeSCI more "ScummVM compatible" (the
GSoC project built on that).

All in all, I think FreeSCI would be a great addition to ScummVM, and
IMNSHO one that fits much better into ScummVM's original spirit than
some of the other more recent engine additions ;-). I personally see
no reason not to add it, as long as the original developers are OK
with it and actively participate, which right now seems to be the
case. Well, if they ever manage to get around finishing that cleanup
they first wanted to make, right now it seems to be back to sloooow
mode with them.... ;-).

You wrote:
> * Why was there no word about FreeSCI merge on this mailing list? Is
> there anything to hide?

 From my point of view, there is nothing to hide. I think the main
reason scummvm-devel has not been informed is that nobody thought
about doing it. Yup, that's not good! It's bad, in fact. Just as it
was bad to not announce the gog.com changes before hand, and I guess
the MADE/M4 merge was handled. And I am sure there are more examples,
too.

I can only speak for me personally, of course: I am not happy about
this. In the case of FreeSCI, I certainly am one of those to blame for
not talking to scummvm-devel. Truth is, it never occurred to me to
email scummvm-devel. Bad. No excuse for it, either.

Part of this is because I myself have little spare time (having a
"real" job these days, even though it's "only" at the uni). I get so
many mails behind the scenes that want to be taken off, so many bugs
that pop up, so many porters and engine authors that need to
propped...  I am tired of this. One thing I just have decided to try
to improve the situation. From now one, I will send all the email I
send to prod people or to handle issues that are not confidential, to
scummvm-devel with CC. All. Including those "hey I sent you a trivial
fix for a bug in your port 4 weeks ago, could you at least ack it?"
mails. By doing that with all mails, I don't have to decide for a mail
whether to do it, and maybe this will help a bit with comm.

> * Are we still one team? Or is it nowadays rather that "the ScummVM
> team" as an umbrella team and various single engine teams?

I am not sure. I don't quite know what the difference between the two
is, either... We always have been a loosely grouped bunch. There are a
handful people who care about general stuff in ScummVM. The majority,
though is happy to work on their engine and/or port, and seems to
little care about anything else. Going so far that over the years, I
repeatedly found code where engine authors or porters would hack
around issues in ScummVM instead of talking to "the team" to figure
out together how to solve things properly. Many porters only pop in
(in the sense that I see commits & mails from then) when a new release
is imminent (often that means "the day before").  So, that seems to
make us an "umbrella" team?

If you meant: "Hey, are we not a team and make all decisions together,
in consensus?" then my answer would be: Nope, and we've never been
that. As I see it, we always have been a meritocracy. I.e. "he who
gets something done has far more to say than the idle bystanders" ;-).

In the past, I very often tried to email scummvm-devel about
something, to get feedback and help me decide how to do something. My
experience is that usually this didn't work out at all, or if, then
essentially with a tiny group (usually 1-3) of people actually talking.

I do think that we should talk about merge decisions etc. earlier on
scummvm-devel -- out of politeness / courtesy, at the very least.
Although I don't think this will actually change the way decisions are
made much, because most people will stay silent, and we will not
always end up with consensus decision either. But at least everybody
can have the feeling of having been informed in due time.

Bye,