[Scummvm-devel] What is happening to the ScummVM team?

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Feb 13 16:24:19 CET 2009

Am 13.02.2009 um 09:30 schrieb Johannes Schickel:

> Eugene Sandulenko schrieb:

[...]

>> Still, I am really don't like the way you point this out. As I
>> announce with each release schedule, I do not put it in stone. A
>> simple request with sound reasons will easily make me push release
>> date or even cancel it altogether. It is not that I am dictating it,
>> although certain degree of dictatorship is required from the one
>> wearing a release manager hat ;).
>>

> Actually I'm wondering how I should point it out then. Of course I
> could
> have just written an reply to our release thread instead,

Exactly, that's the way I would have expected it, actually: "Hey, I
think we have to delay the release because of XYZ" :-).

> but since I
> was wondering about some other things too and considered this rather
> an
> general aspect instead of something only 0.13.0 release related I
> choose
> this mail to discuss about it.

[...]
> This is actually giving me headaches, releasing a probably not well
> tested release, to get more tests is pretty much strange to me. Of
> course it might help to get more testing results, but those results
> should be done before release testing. Maybe we should just release
> some
> release candidates in the future with some weeks in between and when
> we
> find the situation good enough we will create a final release.
> (Actually
> it seems what you propose to do with 0.13.0 and 0.13.1 seems to be
> exactly what other projects achieve via release candidates).

Probably a good idea. I think we tried RCs in the past once or twice,
and it just didn't work well with porters, who still only made
releases for the final version. Then again, several ports already do
their own RCs currently. Maybe we can coordinate this a bit. Different
ports have different RC needs, though (like, sometimes a porter will
fix one particular nasty bug and wants to make a new RC; difficult to
get uniform RC numbering across all ports this way. Then again, that's
a side issue, of course).

I think doing RCs would be nice. The only serious issue I see is that
it will put even more stress on the shoulders of the release manager.
It might won't work for all porters, too, but that's no reasons not to
do it :-)

[...]

> I'm happy to help out as a co release manager with next release. In
> case
> you do not want to be release manager for next release, I would
> consider
> stepping in as main release manager too.

That's a great offer, and I think we should take it up. Thanks!

[...]

>>> * Are we still one team? Or is it nowadays rather that "the ScummVM
>>> team" as an umbrella team and various single engine teams?
>>>
>> We always were ScummVM project consisting of several subteams:
>>  - Core
>>  - Engine-specific
>>  - Port-specific
>>  - Other, such as Wiki editors
>>
>> Name it as you like. Such structure comes from 2001 when Simon engine
>> was merged.
>>

> If we are really that loosely connected teams, I am wondering why we
> have a central svn rep.

Because the teams overlap to a degree, because it is convenient,
because of historical reasons, because this way people working on the
core / glue code can more easily adapt all backends & engines to their
changes, etc.

A tight knit team could still have multiple repositories, a loose team
can work on a single repos, I really don't think that the two things
are related *that* closely :-).