[Scummvm-devel] Touche

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sat Feb 14 01:11:49 CET 2009

Am 13.02.2009 um 18:13 schrieb Travis Howell:

[...]

> The advantage of the current percent rates, is that it is possible
> to give better idea of amount of known bugs/issues, by the exact
> percentage rate used.

I don't think that's really true.   " Does it really tell you much
when one game has 70% and another has 80% ? What does that mean,
either way? If in one game everything works except for music output,
and in another everything works except for saveing and loading, which
one gets which score, and why? Truth is, most of these numbers in the
compatibility chart are made by some dev making a pure guess (the 95%
& 98% ones are possible an exception, but those could just be turned
into 5 and 5+ or so).

The desire to want to measure everything with a single number is
strong in us, but often mislead. Does the Status of Liberty have a 70%
or an 80% on the "famous statues and buildings" list? Where is the
Eiffel Tower, below or above it, and by how much, and *why* ? :-)

> Why not just keep the current compatibility table, but provide a
> legend to explain the percentage ranges/rates? a much easier change,
> than rating all games again too.

I don't see what advantage that would give us, but on the other hand I
think it would cause extra confusion. Nah, let's do it either this way
or that way, but not two ways :-).