[Scummvm-devel] Understaffing

Joost Peters joostp at 7fc1.org
Sun Feb 15 01:05:16 CET 2009

Willem Jan Palenstijn schreef:

> One way of avoiding the build rule complexity would be having a special
> test-mode in the main scummvm binary. That way every port we have could
> build the test suite without modifying the build system much. We also
> gain automatic access to all subsystems for testing, including
> platform-specific things like the filesystem.
>
> Maybe adding a special engine called 'test' would be a minimally
> invasive way of integrating it?

I was talking to Johannes about exactly this a few days ago.

For me as a porter to a non-standard platform, having a(n optionally)
built-in testing / verification mechanism (engine or otherwise) would be
vastly preferred over a few separated test utilities that would be
harder to build and run.

One could create a fairly simple engine that tests a lot functionality
from the FS code, OSystem, Overlays, etc. and gives immediate (visual
and audible?) feedback.  Might even be useful during the development of
new backends.

Perhaps a good GSoC (sub)task?

Regards,
Joost