[Scummvm-devel] Dropping MPEG2 code?

John Willis John.Willis at Distant-earth.com
Sun Jan 11 23:32:11 CET 2009

> I would like to hear your opinion about dropping MPEG2 code completely
> in next ScummVM version, i.e. kill all the relevant code after 0.13.0
> is branched.

Gets my vote.

> We still have only Broken Swords which use this code. We removed links
> to MPEG2 packs since we added DXA versions, and no complaints were
> verbalized so far as the quality is in fact better.
>
> >From the other hand keeping the support in place complicates code,
> keeps that dependency on libmpeg2 and gives no real advantage.
>
> So, what do you guys think?

We have an odd situation on the GP2X in as much as the MPEG2 cutscenes are
quicker (libMPEG2 hacks for the platform) then the DXA ones (both still far
to slow anyway ;-)) but personally I would be happy to see the MPEG2 hacks
go and the resulting static app size drop.

Regards,

John