[Scummvm-devel] Virtual keyboard code from GSoC 2008

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 21:00:56 CET 2009

Max Horn schrieb:
> Hi folks,
>
> after some recent efforts by dhweg, LordHoto and myself, the vkeybd &
> key remapper code at least compiles again. More work is still needed,
> though:
>
> * Fix linker errors (I'll take a look)

It links fine over here at least. So I'm unsure what you mean with this
point :-).

> * Fix key remapper dialog (it will crash right now, because not all of
> it has been transitioned to the new system
> * Decide what to do about the hotkeys F7 and F8 (just like the F6
> hotkey for the GMM)
> * Come up with new / better keyboard packs.

One thing which I find particularly annoying is that when you enable the
keyboard all game / GUI interaction is stopped. For example when trying
to enter a save game name in GMM's save dialog via the vkbd it will not
be displayed while using the vkbd. The whole input will only be shown
after the vkbd is closed. I guess that's already on some TODO list
though :-). It would probably require backend internal handling though,
since currently the vkbd is just drawn on the overlay, which might lead
to conflicts when the GUI would be updated while the vkbd is shown.

> For the desktop, we could certainly use fancier keyboard maps,
> matching the looks of our themes. The advantage of the attached ones
> is that they compress really well, esp. the black and white version.
> The fact that we only support uncompressed 24bit BMPs is actually
> annoying here; as a bitmap BMP, it takes up only 5104 bytes, as 24bit
> BMP it needs 40896 bytes.

Actually adding support for another BMP format in the loader code
shouldn't be too hard. We would probably need to store the data in
memory in overlay format thus 16bpp though, everything else would slow
down drawing of the vkbd. Of course depending on how often we need to
redraw that might be acceptable.

// Johhannes