[Scummvm-devel] Engines' copyright notice

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Jan 20 23:26:13 CET 2009

Am 20.01.2009 um 06:51 schrieb Jordi Vilalta:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering whether the current usage of
> MetaEngine::getCopyright() corresponds to what its name suggests.
> Right now it's used to return the original engine's copyright, which
> in most cases doesn't correspond to the reimplemented engine.
>
> There are two possible solutions here:
> 1) Change the name of the function so it matches the functionality, to
> something like getDescription, getOriginalCopyright, or something like
> that
> 2) Return the current engine's copyright, which in most cases will be
> something like "The ScummVM Team", and it will also contain the
> original developer when source code was donated.
>
> What are your thoughts?

The purpose of that function is to list the original developers, so
that we can list them in the about dialog. "Our" developers are
already in there, as part of the engine teams list. The idea being
that we want to list *all* people who contributed to ScummVM, always.
But we only want to list specific engines, plus the copyright of the
associated companies, only when they are actually loaded. Hence option
1 would be the way to.