[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM Donation

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Jul 1 18:31:28 CEST 2009

Am 01.07.2009 um 14:32 schrieb Henry Bush:

> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 10:54, Max Horn<max at quendi.de> wrote:
>>
>> You may simply not be on the list of people with access to the
>> shell server.
>>
>> Recently I stopped automatically giving everybody that access bit,
>> because
>> not everybody needs / uses it, but one can potentially wreak quite
>> some
>> havoc with it (by accident or not), and unlike with SVN and almost
>> every
>> other bit of our infrastructure, we have no good way to monitor it.
>
> Ah, that explains it. And that's fair enough. So long as others are
> happy to update the site if I need to write a news post (which I
> imagine will be very rare), I'm happy to leave the resonsibility to
> them ;-)

Just to make it clear: We are currently a bit "unfair" in this as we
have no clear policy and some people have shell access simply because
they are long around and back then everybody got it automatically. In
this particular case I am not even sure that this flag is the cause,
as I didn't have time to check it; in any case, it's nothing personal,
Henry. You don't seem to take it that way, luckily, but I still wanted
to emphasize it. For one, I have no concern that you'll do anything
bad with the shell services. I don't think anybody else will
(everybody who is on the developer list underwent some kind of
screening already anyway).

If we had a system to update the news from SVN w/o shell access, I
think that would solve this problem once and for all. I still don't
like the idea of a cron job, though; a page with a login and then a
button to "svn up" would be much nicer. Of course that in turn poses
problems, like we'd have to manage accounts for it, and it seems we
can't just us the SF.net account for it, so that's more or less out.
Gah.

I guess it's still  no big issue; I don't have time to write news
items all the time, but I do have time to quickly ssh to the shell
server and run "svn up", if requested ;).

Finally, I want to say "Thank you very much!" to Henry for writing
that news item!

Bye,