[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM 0.14.0

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Sat Jul 4 21:38:27 CEST 2009

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 15:06:28 +0200
Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:
> Anyway, if Eugene and Jody are confident about it, we can discuss
> *here* about merging the 16 bit API now. But I think it's better to
> first develop it some further in its branch, and finalize 16bit
> support in at least 2-3 engines in the branch, to make sure the API
> is at least in principle usable. I'd also like to know how well
> 16bit support interacts with the GUI, etc.
>
> Once again, I don't like doing a rush job of this. Either do 0.14.0
> now, without 16bit support. Or wait till a merge is sensible, then
> wait at least 1-2 months *after that*, and then make 0.14.0.
My own vision on this is that 16-bit support would better not go into
nearest major release, that is 0.14.0. Although it looks well in SCUMM
engine now, the underlying changes could require substantial amount of
work in all non-SDL ports in order to support 16-bitness.

Though I would like to merge it the earliest right after branch, but
preferably after the release testing is done in order to not clobber
the release process.

Speaking of the API, I think we need to review current implementation,
so Jody could think about speeding up the documentation writing, add
short use cases there and code samples. This then could spawn more
discussions and possibly fine tuning and/or refactoring.

Eugene