[Scummvm-devel] Hi everyone

M. Kiewitz m_kiewitz at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 10 22:47:03 CEST 2009

Hi there,

I'm a newcomer to the ScummVM development team. I'm from Germany, 31 years old and working at a hospital as SAP developer.

I used ScummVM at lot before on my Wii (have all LucasArts games but Full Throttle, most of them even in 2 or 3 versions, like Indiana Jones 4 - English floppy, German floppy and English talkie, I was a LA junkie back in the days) and I'm very glad someone took so much work and time to make it happen. Anyway, as I saw the SCI engine being included into ScummVM, I was especially happy because I love those old Sierra games. I bought my first ones over in Australia when I was around 11 or 12 (Hero's Quest 1 AGI and Codename ICEMAN). I got most of them, but not all of the SCI32 ones. I even replaced my KQ5/floppy with KQ5/CD using mailorder to/from USA w/o internet. Sierra replaced it for just a small fee back then. I'm doing computer stuff since I was around 9 or 10. First it was just playing games and fiddling around under MS-DOS (later DR-DOS). Some years passed and I started developing under BASIC, then changed to PowerBASIC, x86 assembly, C/C++ and
 finally to ABAP/4 (some obscure languages like Cobol inbetween during school).

Oh BTW. I already did something some years ago for Sierra games - I wrote the GoSierra utility that patches all sorts of soundblaster drivers to work on faster machines.

I'm not familiar with the SCI engine, but I'm learning quite fast and I really love fiddling around with such engines. I would like to make some if not all SCI1 games work. I guess this means changing lots of code especially in the graphics department.

Regards
  M. Kiewitz