[Scummvm-devel] 1.0 or not 1.0? (was: ScummVM 1.0.0 release schedule)

Remere remere at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 03:16:03 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Eugene Sandulenko<sev at scummvm.org> wrote:
>> With the GUI wizard interface task of GSoC 2009 progressing well, it
>> seems well worth waiting for the results. Which will make it much
>> easier for users to use the features (especially sound compression)
>> offered by our various command line tools.
> This is valid point, still our tools always were "Mostly unsupported"
> and I don't see how we can improve that.
>
>> > Besides, which makes me wonder, what will happen with our tools
>> > builds for other platforms once GUI is there? Will command line
>> > utilities stay?
>>
>> The last blog entry mentioned command line options will still be
>> available, although I'm not sure whether through separate tools.
> That has to be a must, but this is more for the student and the task
> mentors.

Command line utilities will stay, since the tools are now very
modular, the "master CLI tool" will be very simple in it's
construction too.
However, the tools now require a much more full-fletched C++ compiler
than previously, with support for exceptions, inheritence etc. and the
STD library (while the previous tools barely qualified for C with
classes). I'm quite certain almost all compilers will be able to
handle it.

Cheers,
Joakim