[Scummvm-devel] PS2 - 0.13.x and trunk status

sunmax at libero.it sunmax at libero.it
Sun Jul 12 08:06:05 CEST 2009

Hey-la ScummVM team,

getting GDB (partially-)working on PS2 was a blast.

All the open bugs on PS2 have been fixed (except the
random audio lock in DIG/COMI, which will require
some fine-tuning of ps2gdb so that we can break in
from remote with a CTRL+C, when it enters a loop but
no exceptions are generated).

I dropped in couple of nifty extra features too:

 - write cache
 - single dialog line skip

It compiles and works fine in trunk, with the following
regressions compared to 0.13.x:

(a) *** kyra - eof condition ***

   The intro does fine.

   When starting the game we get:

fopen(host:games/Kyrandia-Scummvm/STARTUP.PAK, rb)
open host:games/Kyrandia-Scummvm/STARTUP.PAK [4]
  _mode = 1
  _fileSize = 95103
ferror -> 1
Read error while parsing file '_STARTUP.EMC!

This shows that an EOF condition was returned from
ferror (ps2_ferror) - if we fake-return 0, instead
of 1, kyra starts and works just fine.

It's very likely that the EOF condition is not cleared
in some file ops on the PS2 backend.

 - is anything changed in the way we handle STARTUP.PAK
   from 0.13.1? [it works just fine there]

 - could somebody with a better FS/EOF background have a quick
   look at fileio.cpp (ps2_*) and see if something is obviously
   amiss?

(b) *** rtz - funky symbols ***

There are mysterious symbols in game load/save dialog empty slots.
They add some sense of mystery to the GUI itself, just checking:

 do you get them on other backends?

I am having a hard-time to compare it to 0.13.x cause
MADE was still allocating a bunch of stuff on stack,
that made it a bit unstable on PS2...

Beside these small graphical glitches, it's rock-solid
with trunk ;-)

Good!

(c) *** GUI (classic theme) ***

It seems that some pieces of the "tabs" are missing in "tab dialogs"
-> choose Options from games launcher, and look at the tabs sequence
"GFX" "Audio" "Volume": the starting part of top lines seem missing.

Ideas?

(d) *** fat bottom code ***

1.0.0svn is a bit overweight (+ 0.5 MB compared to 0.13.x).

Same compiler (we only have one for PS2...), same options,
same engines compiled it.

Where did we get fat? ;-)

 --- ~ --- ~ ---

Tested with comi, mi2, indy4, elvira, rtz, sam'n'max, kyra,
bs1, simon1, simon2, ihnm, inherit, ft, dig. All from local
(USB, HD, CD) and remote (HOST).

I uploaded 2 binaries for users & developers to play with:

- ScummVM/PS2 0.13.1 enhanced  [<- branch-0-13-0]

   http://www.sendspace.com/file/a6j6yb

- ScummVM/PS2 0.14.0 (aka 1.0.0svn)  [<- trunk]

   http://www.sendspace.com/file/4gyr4w

Let's rock,
 -max