[Scummvm-devel] Link errors in cruise and Graphics::FontTowns

Rainer M. Canavan rainer at canavan.de
Sun Jul 12 22:46:58 CEST 2009

Johannes Schickel <lordhoto at scummvm.org> wrote:
> Rainer M. Canavan wrote:
[...]
> > ld32: ERROR   33 : Unresolved text symbol "Common::copy(const Cruise::CtStruct*,const Cruise::CtStruct*,Cruise::CtStruct*)" -- 1st referenced by engines/cruise/libcruise.a(ctp.o).
> > ld32: ERROR   33 : Unresolved text symbol "Graphics::FontTowns::drawCharIntern(const unsigned short*,unsigned char*,int,unsigned char) const" -- 1st referenced by graphics/libgraphics.a(sjis.o).
[...]
> That looks like a seriously bugged compiler / linker. All those are
> template functions, seems like the compiler/linker just drops those
> symbols. I'm afraid there's pretty little that can be done about it,
> instead of replacing the templates by code duplication in sjis.cpp. Is
> there no update / fix for the compiler available? If not, is there no
> alternative compiler?

There is a slightly newer version, but I don't have it (that would be
7.4.4 instead of 7.4.1), since it's commercial and I don't have the
proper support to get those patches. It is indeed a know problem
that templates support in mipspro is sub par, so I'm looking
for a workaround. This problem has only crept up within the last
1 or 2 weeks, so I'm wondering what change could have triggered
the bug, especially in Cruise, since I don't see why that's
different from the other engines. The problem is really in  the
compiler, since the .o file already declares those functions as
missing.

rainer