[Scummvm-devel] Bring testers to the team?

Thierry Crozat (Yahoo! Mail) thierry.crozat at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 13 19:52:52 CEST 2009

Le 13 juil. 09 à 17:56, Henry Bush a écrit :

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 17:13, Eugene Sandulenko<sev at scummvm.org>
> wrote:
>> There was a quite sound idea mentioned recently, that is bring "full
>> time" testers to the team.
>>
>> What do you think guys?
> Absolutely, yes. Sounds like a great idea. Play testing the games
> takes substantial amounts of time, so they should get recognition for
> it.

+1

>> And these need to be discussed:
>>  - Access to our donations for purchasing games. (perhaps some max
>>    amount per year? I don't really know, I don't want to abuse it,
>> and
>>    would rather save for the developers)
> Possibly. I think so long as it is monitored. For example, it's quite
> cheap now to pick up space quest 1-6, so that would be fine, but using
> it to pick up monkey island madness is not on! But so long as those
> that make the decisions (you and Max, presumably) agree, then it
> shouldn't be a problem. A max amount a year seems like something that
> is easily abused: if a playtester knows they can request X amount per
> year, they may (and I think most wouldn't, but even so) feel like they
> *ought* to request it.

I would say you and Max take the decision on a case by case basis,
depending on the money you have got available and the requested game.
If none of the testers have a given game it makes more sense to buy
this one rather than a game that several of the testers already own.

Is it also time to try to revive the documentation team? I remember
there was a discussion about it some time ago but it seems the idea
(or the documentation team itself) died.

Thierry