[Scummvm-devel] 1.0 or not 1.0? (was: ScummVM 1.0.0 release schedule)

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Jul 14 10:41:00 CEST 2009

Am 14.07.2009 um 00:58 schrieb Thierry Crozat (Yahoo! Mail):

> Le 13 juil. 09 à 22:29, Max Horn a écrit :
>
>> Improving our README, making it easier for users to "start ScummVM,
>> add a game and play", fixing papercuts (see <https://launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts
>>> ) -- those are things we should work on for 1.0.0. Most of those are
>> of course not as fun or shiny or impressive -- but those are what
>> distinguish good software from great software, IMO.
>>

>> So, let's go for a somewhat extended release cycle, with 1.0rc and
>> then 1.0.0 (and maybe 1.0.1, why not). Let's try to get as many ports
>> in good shape as possible. Let's try to fix as many bugs on the
>> tracker as possible. Let's try to listen to what first time users
>> suggest on how to make ScummVm easier to use. Let's try not fall in
>> the "one more feature, never release" trap ;)
>>

> Since you mention that, I have a few suggestions to improve the
> launcher (it seems that usability course I had last year will come
> in handy after all). I am taking snapshots for the new launcher and
> I noticed the following points (I can add all this to the GUI TO DO
> or a new GUI Usability page on the Wiki if you want):

WRONG PLACE! This is just going to be lost in the noise here, really.
File a feature request for these. Or maybe we should try to use a
separate "TODO" / "Task" tracker for ideas like these -- I've been
thinking about this myself last night. Maybe we should use MantisBT or
Trac or even the SF.net tracker to store our various TODOs, and to
then sort them by category; by importance; by "usefulness", etc.

Please, put these ideas into tracker entries, or onto a Wiki page.
Same to everybody else who is using this overly long thread to sound
out ideas :)

Bye,