[Scummvm-devel] Bring testers to the team?

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Jul 15 12:16:27 CEST 2009

Am 15.07.2009 um 11:51 schrieb Walter van Niftrik:
[...]
>> Someone with some
>> knowledge about programming, would usually be required to track
>> down the
>> exact code segment causing the regression.
>
> If we're tracking down a regression that occurred somewhere in the
> past
> 5 months, finding the exact revision is most of the work. Doing this
> requires no programming skill.

[This is getting somewhat offtopic now, but anyway... ;) ]
Well, they still would need to be able to get their hands on test
builds for that time period. Our daily builds go back to May right
now. I am not sure whether we can keep an archive like that forever,
though; disk space is cheap, but not unlimited, and we are using quite
a bunch of it now.

Maybe we can come up with a way to store these nightlies efficiently
(maybe using a binary diff approach, i.e., only store a binary diff
between builds; of course then one would need an efficient retrieval
system, too). But I think it's too far outside our scope to work on
something like this, so unless there is an off-the-shelf solution, I'd
not bother with it.

On-demand-building of certain revisions would open up a denial-of-
service attack possibility, so I don't see that as an alternative.

Hence, to find out when a regression was introduced precisely, we
still would have to either provide custom builds to testers; or ask
them to compile SVN checkouts themselves, and then do bisecting on it.
Still doable even for a non-developer, but non-trivial if you don't
have a compilation environment already. If we can find a couple
testers able and willing to do this, it would be awesome; we should
then try to make the barrier as low as possible.

(And of course finding the right revision is a *lot* easier and faster
with "git bisect" or the equivalent mercurial command... ;).