[Scummvm-devel] Switching from SVN to git, mercurial or bazaar

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Jun 7 18:57:58 CEST 2009

Hi folks,

recently, SF.net added support for git, mercurial, and bazaar, three
so-called "distributed version control systems" (DVCS). In the past
months, several of us (wjp, Eugene, myself, ...) experimented with
using git via the "git-svn" bridge.

Overall, these DVCS have some really nice advantages. Like, they
allowed Eugene to continue working while he was on "vacation" (man,
Eugene, I hope your family still likes you... :). I.e. you can prepare
several commits locally (and "massage" them before going public --
like merging or reordering "local" commits). These tools also make
branching super-trivial.

All in all, I am interested in moving ScummVM from SVN to one of
these. For now, I have the most experience with git, but I wouldn't
exclude the others as possibilities.

About the only problems I foresee are (a) Windows support for non-
cygwin users, and (b) the fact that people will have to learn a new
system, which is more powerful but hence also slightly more
complicated... Although i find that after some learning time, I really
prefer git over SVN for working on ScummVM :).

Let the flamewar, err, discussion begin :)