[Scummvm-devel] Switching from SVN to git, mercurial or bazaar

Filippos Karapetis philipk79 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 7 19:56:42 CEST 2009

Hotmail ate the message I typed (I hate them).

Summarizing: git is in its infancy under Windows, whereas both
Mercurial and Bazaar are written in Python, which makes them really cross-
platform. There is documentation on all 3, and I'd like to test them all
before reaching a conclusion. At a first glance, Mercurial and Bazaar
are clear winners over git concerning cross-platform availability, though
git is much more well-known and spread. Mercurial is used by the people
at Mozilla and Python, which means that it's quite powerful, if projects
like that are using it.

All in all, I think we should move on to a DVCS system, but it won't
be as easy as switching from CVS to SVN... Right now, I'm in favor
of Mercurial and Bazaar, purely for their ability to run under anything
supporting Python.

Does anyone know of test repositories to test the 3 systems? Otherwise
I'll have to install their servers locally and experiment...

Regards
Filippos