[Scummvm-devel] Switching from SVN to git, mercurial or bazaar

Bertrand Augereau bertrand_augereau at yahoo.fr
Mon Jun 8 05:38:25 CEST 2009

hg svn interaction was only for pulling, last time I checked, so you'd need two working copies, one hg and one svn, then some patching jugglery to send your commits to the svn repo.

<rant too :)>
I bet with tortoise svn I can do aggregate stuff such as "blame a file a.cpp at line 435 then see what was in the corresponding commit 34988 that touched it and then log changes in a.h which was touched in the same commit" faster than you with command-line :)</rant>

Anyway the most proficient users like you or me in an organisation are not important, they can manage :)
Other users are what count.

2 words about my experience:
I think for most users, windows shell integration is very important, and one of the most important problem with git.
We have roughly 25 coders and 25 "artists" (game designers, graphists and so on) developing in a windows environment.
Some coders don't want to lose the confort of TortoiseSvn and flawless shell and Araxis Merge integration.
The artists would just be befuzzled by the branching model, and anyway they mostly work on non-mergeable data, so a simplified workflow should be presented to them.
And hg and bzr just don't cut it performance wise with the size of our repo, so we're a bit stuck with svn in practice... and git svn (and therefore cygwin, msysgit doesn't fully support git svn).
A full git Windows experience should be smoother with msysgit.

By the way, git svn is nice and all, but there are lots of small quirks that necessitate to know git quite well to fix problems, such as a failed dcommit often necessitating inspecting the reflog to do the good reset.
So better not judge git through git svn.

Migrating a whole organisation to a DVCS really is a challenge not for the faint of the heart, mostly for non-technical reasons but not only.
ScummVM is essentially a project with coders (and geeky ones if I may) so it probably can be done!

Cheers,
Bertrand