[Scummvm-devel] Switching from SVN to git, mercurial or bazaar

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Jun 9 10:01:44 CEST 2009

Am 09.06.2009 um 04:36 schrieb Paul Gilbert:

> 2009/6/9 Max Horn <max at quendi.de>
>
> This is still an excellent question, of course. Actually, being able
> to work offline is a *huge* advantage in my eyes. Well, I'll try to
> list some advantages I see:
>
> Thanks for the excellent summary about the advantages. I'd initially
> been curious about how a change could be advantageous to me
> personally, and I can see the ability to work with several branches
> easily would certainly be nice. To take a recent example, I've had
> various code fragments lying around for the Cruise engine as I've
> attempted to get sound handling to work, as well as experimenting
> with trying to get savegames to load directly from the launcher. It
> was a bit of pain having to zip up the changed files, and then get a
> fresh copy of the source when I wanted to fix more immediate
> 'fixable' errors without committing any of my experimental code.
> Being able to quickly create different branches to work with
> different functionality would certainly simplify matters.

Actually, for that you don't even need to do a (light weight) branch;
you can use "git stash" to briefly store away your changes (even do
that several times), make your quick fix, then "git stash apply" /
"git stash pop" to get your temporarily stored changes back and
continue hacking. Pretty nifty :).

Note: The advantages I listed in most cases apply to all three named
DVCS.

> I'm still in favour of a Windows shell integrated system, but I'd be
> willing to use any system which has Windows command line binaries
> available. The benefits sound intruiging enough that I'd be willing
> to put up with it. :)

Sure. Using mercurial, or maybe the hggit bride plus git, would allow
that, I am sure.

Bye,