[Scummvm-devel] Bitdepth/pixel format API concerns

Rafał Rzepecki divided.mind at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 18:44:41 CEST 2009

2009/6/14 Rafał Rzepecki <divided.mind at gmail.com>:
> Sure, that's why I opted for the mixed approach which is slowly
> beginning to be the consensus here - ie. if the engine knows better,
> let it, and if not, let it not care.

Thinking about it, maybe another way would be to provide a
Surface::convertToScreenFormat() method; then the engine has a choice
of either converting just before putting on screen, or using this same
method to convert beforehand, eg. when loading sprites, and then do
drawing in native format. There could even be a wrapper around
copySurfaceToScreen which automatically calls the conversion.

This still leaves the issue of mode negotiation, though.