[Scummvm-devel] Fancy pantsy javascript for the downloads page

Pierre-Yves GĂ©rardy pygy79 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 20:51:41 CEST 2009

Hi,

I have some suggestions regarding the layout of the page.

If you squeeze the text next to the main platform links, you can get
rid of the TOC since most of the content will then be visible without scrolling.

I'd use a more regular scheme for the expandable menus, ie, use only the
red layout with section titles. Implicit conventions trump
explainations (although you can keep them too). People are used to
foldables (and to hyperlinks ;-) these days. If you make it clear that
the header sections are interactive (change background  olor or
underline the text on hover, beside the cursor turning to a hand),
people will click them. I might be (well, I am) biased, but I think
that, by now, almost everyone is web savvy enough to understand that.
Animating the foldables would make what happens more clear...

For the order, (keeping in mind that most people are there to play
games on their current OS) I'd put:

The main download link (of course, *g*), a big Firefox-like button as
suggested. (*)

Then:

_Games_
Full games (for free) (**).
Game extras files (required to play some games) (***)

_Other binaries_
Current binaries for other platforms (consoles, smartphones, other
operanting systems) (****)
Older versions (unsupported)
SVN builds (more recent, experimental versions, may be buggy. Not
recommended for everyday use.)

_Advanced resources_
Current tools
Current Source (*****)
Libraries

(*) Is WinCE popular enough to deserve a place next to the Win32 download?
(*)' If the platform isn't detected, as already discussed, put the
source code, with the "If you ported..."  text that's currently at the
top of the page.
(**) With an aknowledgement to the copyrigh holders.
(***) Separately as already suggested.
(****) With a notice inside the foladble that some platforms haven't
been updated, sending them to the old binaries category below. *Note*:
If you don't find what you're looking for, the binary for your
platform may not have been updated this time around. check the 'Older
section' below.
(*****) with the "See readme for building" and "If you ported..."
text in the foldable.
I would use non bold text for parentheses, to add contrast and
highlight the main title.

Regarding the text at the top: I find it too long. People tend to skim
over web pages, and will probably miss it, or read the first
paragraph, find if too technical and jump elsewhere. If you implement
the changes suggested above, it becomes mostly superfluous.

* The "compiling and porting" text could be moved where conextually
relevant, as noted above.

* If you make big " 'Your Platform' Download" button, and put a small
"raw, zipped 'Your Platform' binaries" text link below (if relevant),
the recommended
download will be graphically evident.

* People in the know will find the SVN builds. Most people will ignore
it. The parenthesis and warning in the foldable should sufficient to
inform curious ones, making the second bullet redundant.

* By separating the "Free Games" and "Game Extras" in separate foldables
and adding a "(required to play some games)" next to the latter, the
third bullet becomes mostly irrelevant. You may still want to mention
the free games titles (or put a link to the games dl page, if you
chose to make it that way), but there is no need to detail what the
"game extras" are for there.

Well, we got rid of almost everything :-). The only remaining info is
about the free games, and it should be emphasised IMO.

At last, it's a personnal matter, but I don't like "in page"
(anchored?) links, like the "more downloads' one Max suggested, I find
them confusing. The "More platforms" section would be visible without
scrolling assuming you implement the suggested ideas above. Changing
the "Click here for more" into "See the 'other platforms' section
below" would be better IMO.

Cheers,
Pierre-Yves