[Scummvm-devel] SCI sound drivers

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Mar 9 18:27:27 CET 2009

I thought I better forward this email to scummvm-devel :-)

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

> Von: Walter van Niftrik <walter at vanniftrik-it.nl>
> Datum: 9. März 2009 13:03:19 GMT-04:00
> An: Max Horn <max at quendi.de>
> Betreff: Re: [Scummvm-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: scummvm:[39119]	scummvm/
> trunk/engines/sci/sfx/player/polled.cpp
>
> Max Horn wrote:
>>
>> Well, if I remove realtime.cpp and refs to it in players.cpp,
>> everything still compiles and links...
>
> Yes, but enabling MIDI output in glutton requires a source code
> change, namely putting the realtime player first in players.cpp. The
> functionality to choose this at runtime was never developed. ;)
>
> Currently, realtime.cpp drives only sequencers (in directory seq/)
> and polled.cpp drives only software sequencers (in directory
> softseq/).

OK, so to get MIDI and adlib output, we have to make this flexible,
and port the "scumm adlib" and "scumm MIDI" drivers from the "FreeSCI-
ScummVM" gsoc code base, I guess?

Also, I think you or somebody else hinted that in that code base, the
realtime player is also used / usable for regular audio output, albeit
buggy. Right now, the polled driver works fine, but if we could get
everything to work with the realtime driver (without regressions, mind
you), that would of course be nice: Then there would be no need for
switching, and a single code path to test.