[Scummvm-devel] GSoC 2009

Torbjörn Andersson eriktorbjorn at telia.com
Tue Mar 10 06:12:05 CET 2009

Max Horn wrote:

> 2) From <http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Talk:OpenTasks>
> "New default backend using SDL+ *OpenGL* and allowing arbitrary rate
> scaling. Well written and maintainable! With fallback to the old
> rendering code if OpenGL support is not available. Many people ask for
> it, and if well-written, it could actually be relatively clean. And
> it's interesting to write. Of course, doing it properly is hard, but
> any interesting project should not be too easy, right? ;-)"
> And maybe combine this with "adding 16bit support to the graphics API" ?

The "if OpenGL support is not available" bit worries me slightly. On my
compter, OpenGL is certainly *available*. It is, however, not entirely
bug free (some OpenGL screensavers I've tried have very obvious
rendering errors), and the driver is suffering from a case of the
gremlins, causing my computer to lock up randomly.

Maybe the Gallium3D project will finally fix this once and for all, but
until then I tend to avoid programs that use OpenGL whenever I can. So I
hope that there will still be a way to tell ScummVM that "OpenGL isn't
available, and if you think otherwise you are *wrong*".

Torbjörn Andersson