[Scummvm-devel] GSoC 2009

Kostas Nakos knakos at phys.uoa.gr
Tue Mar 10 10:46:20 CET 2009

Max Horn wrote:
> == More tasks ==
> I am going to bed now, but maybe other find the following two task
> also interesting and want to write a tasks page for them. Or tell me
> that no, we shouldn't bother to try that :-)

No problem from me on this.

> == Interviews ==
> I wrote down some ideas and notes after the GSoC 2008 mentor summit.
> Well, most of what I had back then is now in our "Project rules" page,
> but there is one other thing:

Those are super-great.

  I think it would be good to conduct IRC
> interviews with all applicants. Either via IRC (in a dedicated chat
> room, maybe, not in "the public", with 1-N mentors present. If they
> can't use IRC, we probably don't want them...

I agree, we should have interviews with the more interesting (one way or
the other) proposals. Perhaps interviewing all of them is an overkill.

> Even better might be phone interviews. With Skype, it is cheap
> wherever they are. I'd be willing to help with that. This might be
> useful if we have say 2 hot candidates for the same task and can't
> decide. If we are really good, we do it with all candidates that end
> up in our "top" list ... :).

Sure, by "phone" it should be quicker.

> If we go with interviews, then we should prepare a list of questions
> we want to ask beforehand (and that one should be kept private,
> maybe... :-). And it should be prepared well, else the interviews are
> pointless. Like: What are you doing this summer? What about exams?
> When are they? What, no exams, how come? Prior experiences with coding
> in general, open source in particular? What do you study? Hobbies? Do
> you like T-Shirts and ice cream? How many three headed monkeys does it
> take to write one adventure game? Whatever ;-)

Alright, I think we can privately cook up a good set of questions to
ask. This is also a good idea.

Kostas