[Scummvm-devel] SCI: _k_disable_delete_for_now ()

Lars Skovlund lskovlun at image.dk
Tue Mar 31 10:54:06 CEST 2009

Hello,

I noticed that someone put a fixme in for this this function (in
sci/engine/kgraphics.cpp). The function is not actually a workaround
for anything, more like a "prevent the user from doing something
nasty" type of thing, and goes back to the ugly way in which savegame
deletion is implemented in SCI (and even worse in SQ4/Floppy, for
which the workaround is intended). The result is basically that you
can't implement savegame deletion for SQ4/Floppy unless you duplicate
the exact naming scheme of savefiles (i.e. savefiles must be named
SQ4SG.<number>) and the exact file format of the savegame index
(SQ4SG.DIR). From the earlier discussions on file I/O handling -
before as well as after the merge - I gather that this is not an
option.

SQ4/Floppy is special, being the first game to implement savegame
deletion at all. For later games, we manage to implement deletion by
using gross hacks in kDeviceInfo() (essentially repurposing a few
subfunctions). I decided at the time that SQ4/Floppy was not worth the
effort (see above), and to simply disable the delete functionality for
that game - bringing the save/load dialog on a par with SCI0.

The question then becomes what we want to do. Is the plan to
eventually bypass the Save/Load UI completely and use the ScummVM
native one? Or do we need to find some way of supporting this?

Lars