[Scummvm-devel] PORTERS: Logo update

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Oct 13 14:48:00 CEST 2009

Am 13.10.2009 um 13:31 schrieb Kostas Nakos:

> On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 13:20:07 +0200
> Jordi Vilalta <jvprat at jvprat.com> wrote:
>>      - backends/platform/wince/images/panelbig.bmp (It looks
>> outdated, from the "Pocket Scumm" days. Can I replace it with the new
>> logo?)
>
> It's not exactly outdated. It does have some "artistic" value,
> compared
> to just pasting the official scummvm logo over it. Anyway, I'd like to
> see a revised one before I can make a decision, if that's possible.

It certainly looks nice, agreed. But where is it shown, if I may ask?

Also, I dislike the "Pocket" part in it, not due to the way it looks,
but because of the implications. Once upon a time, there were many
"rogue" custom ports of ScummVM, all with their own names like
PocketSCUMM, ScummDS, etc. I am quite happy that today, we only have
"ScummVM" or at most "ScummVM for XYZ", and with a common "brand". I
think we should be careful to uphold that. The prefix "Pocket"
suggests that one is looking at a customized version of ScummVM,
possibly with reduced functionality, made for portable devices. That's
not really the case, though, hence misleading.