[Scummvm-devel] Another plugin question

Marcus Comstedt marcus at mc.pp.se
Wed Sep 9 23:04:30 CEST 2009

Max Horn <max at quendi.de> writes:

>> I realize that that's an issue. Maybe it would be a good idea to
>> allow at
>> least the option for the backend to choose to load, detect and then
>> unload
>> with every plugin.
>
> That is theoretical possibility. However, you have to realize that
> this will cause a serious overhead if detecting in multiple dirs: Load
> an plugin (lots of disk I/O involved), run the detection code (more I/
> O involved), unload the plugin, load another, run the detection code
> again (accessing the same files), repeat.

In the case of the DC, this also has the additional disadvantage that
the plugins would need to be present on the same disc which is scanned
for games, or else 100 disc swaps would be required by the user.

Right now, all the plugins are loaded from the boot CD, and the user
is then free to swap in any original game CD, which of course have
no ScummVM files on them.

In the scenario with separate plugins for detection, three swaps would
still be required if the game plugin is not on the game disc.

  // Marcus