[Scummvm-devel] "Intelligent" forum spam bots

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Sep 20 19:35:50 CEST 2009

Am 20.09.2009 um 17:02 schrieb Filippos Karapetis:

> > phpBB 2 (and thus the ScummVM forum) already has captcha images. I
> don't think the most recent version of phpBB (3.0.5) has much more
> to offer on that area than version 2. It does
> > have more features on the moderation and reporting side, but that
> does not prevent bots from registering and does not make it much
> easier to decide if an intelligent bot is just that or a
> > stupid user.
>
> I disagree, the captcha image in phpBB 2 is far too easy to be read
> by spambots. They improved it a lot with phpBB 3, and even more with
> 3.0.5, as you mentioned.

Virtually all captchas are now routinely being broken. I doubt this
one will help much either. BUt of course it might be worth a try. Note
that there are also various ways to extend phpBB 2 with alternate
captchas, so it's not absolutely necessary to upgrade to phpBB 3 for
this (which would be a major task, as it requires adopting the forum
theme, among other things).