[Scummvm-devel] 1.1.0 release tonight; plans for 1.1.1

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Apr 4 23:02:42 CEST 2010

Hello everybody,

after some discussion on #scummvm, I decided that we will proceed with the 1.1.0 release as planned tonight. I am working on that right now.

There has been some really good progress on fixing regressions (e.g. Kirben did some great work on Nippon), but I feel uncomfortable throwing away the work porters already did; plus some of the changes we got on the 1.1.x branch in my eyes still should be tested some more; plus we have further pending fixes and patches that deserve a little bit more time to mature. However, I feel that by waiting for these, we would not gain that much; but if we release 1.1.0 now, marked as "beta" or so, we will gain some useful input that will help us to make a better release.

Hence, 1.1.0 tonight, and 1.1.1 will follow up in exactly four weeks:

  Apr 28th (Wednesday): Tagging of 1.1.1
  May 2nd (Sunday): Release of 1.1.1

Note that in retrospect I would have preferred calling these 1.1.0rc and 1.1.0, but it's a bit late for that now: we would have to rebuild all binaries for this. So, we'll just go as we are, but for *next* time, I think we should do what we did for 1.0.0 and plan with an initial 1.2.0rc release in any case, and do the real 1.2.0 3-4 weeks later. If this sounds good, we can adapt <http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/HOWTO-Release> to make this the general scheme for future releases.