[Scummvm-devel] Testing needed for GSoC OpenGL Branch

vgvgf vgvgvgf at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 06:08:19 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I have been working as part of my GSoC project on a new OpenGL
graphics system, as well as on refactoring the SDL backend. The new
OpenGL graphics system has finally reached a good state, and includes
all expected functionality. Currently, all changes and new
implementations seems to be working well on Windows, Linux and Mac OS
X, however it is needed some testing on different computers, different
OS, and different games. So, anyone is welcomed for testing this
branch.

I have made lots of changes to the SDL backend, but it should be
working exactly like the trunk version. So I need some testing on all
areas, and that includes graphics, audio, input, and so on. I have
been working mainly on desktop OS, but I have made changes to other
ports. Not all ports that use SDL have been modified, but I need
testing at least on compiling the SDL based ports and better on
running, which includes GP2X, GP2XWIZ, Linuxmoto, SamsungTV and
Symbian ports. But of course I need also testing for Windows, Linux,
Mac OS X and other POSIX OS.

Still, what needs more testing is the new OpenGL graphics manager, as
it is mostly new code compared with the SDL refactoring changes.
Currently it should be working "well" (Some bugs may arise) for
Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. Explaining a bit the differences between
the OpenGL and SDL graphics manager:
 - It does allow window resizing to any size
 - Supports different aspect ratios. In the case that the window
aspect ratio is different from the wanted one, only one of the screen
dimensions will be fitted to the windows size, and the other one will
be resized accordingly. The aspect ratios can be changed with
Ctrl-Alt-A hotkey, and it will be looped through these modes:
          * None, the contents will be stretched to fit on window size
          * Conserve, will use the current game screen aspect ratio
          * 4 / 3
          * 16 / 9
          * 16 / 10
 - Ctrl-Alt-F hotkey will toggle antialiased mode, using a simple
linear antialiasing. The scalers, like supereagle, advmame, etc. are
not supported, but that would not make any sense as they are not
hardware accelerated.
 - Ctrl-Alt-Enter hotkey will loop through all available fullscreen
modes, while Alt-Enter will change to best available fullscreen mode
or exit to window mode if already in fullscreen.

For changing to the OpenGL graphics manager, go to the options menu,
Graphics tab, and select from the Graphics Mode list (Both SDL and
OpenGL graphics modes will be listed) a "OpenGL *" mode, like "OpenGL
x2". You will need to restart ScummVM for the changes to take effect.
For going back to the SDL graphics manager just select a SDL graphics
mode from the list (They have no prefix, while OpenGL ones do have
"OpenGL")

My branch is currently at "scummvm\branches\gsoc2010-opengl\". For
compiling on Windows if using Visual Studio for compiling, you may
need to get a copy of "glext.h" (if using the precompiled libraries
just place it on "pathToLibs/GL/glext.h"). For compiling under Linux,
if it does not find the OpenGL headers (gl.h) or library, try
installing the mesa-common-dev libraries, or it may be needed to use
with configure the --with-opengl-prefix="pathToGlLibs" option for
specifying OpenGL lib location.

Please report if there is a bug or something that is not working
properly, I hope there are people interested on testing :)

Regards,
Alejandro