[Scummvm-devel] Broken Sword 2.5

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Sun Aug 1 09:55:48 CEST 2010

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 00:08:27 +0200
Johannes Schickel <lordhoto at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do they use exception handling? I think we have that disabled,
Yes, as dreammaster stated it is used in few non-critical places and
could be easily removed.

Also I forgot to mention, but Paul already noted it, that the engine
uses STL. That is getting replaced too.

> Do we plan to have the Lua sources in ScummVM for that too, or will we
> use an external LUA reference for that?
With ScummVM we always tried to minimize addition of 3rd party
dependencies, so this port will bring only libpng and libtheora to the
plate. I was planning to put Lua inside the engine directory,
especially because it uses another small library Pluto which is used
for storing Lua state in savefiles, and that one requires strictly
Lua 5.1.3.

> So does this engine use 32bit for storage of a pixel internally?
I believe it uses 32-bits. It uses all standard stuff:
  - PNG for backgrounds, NPC characters and fonts
  - OGG for sound
  - OGV for videos
  - SWF for main hero. I know, it's weird, but they use only small
    subset of it and have primitive renderer for that. They'd better
    use SVG...

> >  - Original engine has every library incorporated into engine
> > (almost 260k lines of code). Examples: zlib, libvorbis, libogg,
> > libtheora.
>
> I hope we won't do that though ;-).
Absolutely not. Or... after second thought, let's put libogg and libz
inside... j/k

> Personally I am all for doing this in trunk. Furthermore I have to say
> I am really surprised that we nowadays would do that in trunk, from
> the discussions in the past it always looked like people were
> suggested to do that off trunk. I am really thrilled about that.
Well, we were forced to do the work out of the trunk because of the
code license we used. I.e. when we had "scummvm-eyes-only" sources,
like with Discworld, we had no option. But with SCI, SAGA, AGI we did
all the work in trunk. Currently it is planned to merge whole history
of separate repository into trunk, so there will be traceability to
the original sources.

Of course, these days we have buildbot, and --disable-sword25 has to be
added to all instances before we get compilable.

Eugene