[Scummvm-devel] Switching to Git (was Re: Broken Sword 2.5)

Ori Avtalion ori at avtalion.name
Sun Aug 1 15:51:54 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Eugene Sandulenko <sev at scummvm.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 15:40:36 +0300
> Ori Avtalion <ori at avtalion.name> wrote:
>> These points may be relevant to all repositories, but are specific to
>> ScummVM and Tools where there is "real" parallel development:
>>
>> 1. Why keep the old branches around as git branches? The tags already
>> point to their relevant heads, and I think only development lines that
>> are being actively comitted to should be git branches. That way it
>> will be more obvious when a development line is "closed".
> There were commits to those branches, what to do with them?

My suggestion is for branches that end in tags, and have no commits
after them. Those branches are effectively "closed", have a permament
tag pointing at their heads, and so the branch itself can be deleted.
I'd be surprised if this rule doesn't apply to any of the release
branch/tag pairs.

>> 2. Continuing from the previous point, why have the old tags as git
>> branches instead of git tags?
> It /may/ be valid for tools, we need to recheck that there were no
> commits to the tags, if there were, same question, what to do with them?

If svn tags have been comitted to, and those commits are different
than the corresponding branches, maybe their heads should also be
tagged with a special name to signify that.

In general, I think the number of branches in the git repository
should be kept to a minimum. (Of course, that depends on the decided
workflow - which hasn't been finalized, if I remember correctly).