[Scummvm-devel] Switching to Git (was Re: Broken Sword 2.5)

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Sun Aug 1 21:17:18 CEST 2010

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 17:02:48 +0300
Ori Avtalion <ori at avtalion.name> wrote:
> > Are we planning on having a development and a stable branch? If so,
> > we can combine all the release branches + tags together into the
> > stable branch. ie. pull in branch 0.1.0 + all commits to branch
> > 0.1.0 and merge it back into stable, pull in tag 0.1.0 + all
> > commits to 0.1.0, rebase them and merge to stable, pull in branch
> > 0.2.0 + all commits to the branch etc. It wouldn't be a perfect
> > history of the stable branch but it would be pretty good.
> >

> I like this idea :)
>
> Whether or not this is the chosen workflow, the imported svn history
> should try to match it.
The idea is good indeed, but will not work in our case, or rather will
require lots of manual work. I.e. actually we did those backports in
the past and there are many commits to both to trunk and active branch
with same functionality (separate commits I mean). So the person who
will do the conversion will have to cherry pick those commits which is
a great time killer.

Then we abused tags, that is, there were commits to those, and that is
yet another problem.

Eugene