[Scummvm-devel] Android port: mouse/touchscreen improvements

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Aug 6 00:37:16 CEST 2010

Hi there,

sorry, no time to reply in detail now (too late, need sleep ;), but first off: All help is welcome :). Secondly: More and more devices out there have touch screens. It would be nice if ScummVM played similarly on all of them. Maybe we can come up with some good solution(s) and share them among our various ports (ideally even code can be shared, but for now I'd already be happy if the general behavior was similar).

Adapting input methods nicely to various ports still is one of our weaker spots, I feel; I am not sure how well the keyboard (re)mapper works these days. Esp. on "small" ports.

That said, even with it, some things just need manual tweaking to work nicely everywhere, and there is tons of space for improvements. E.g. (and quite off-topic) just recently I thought how nice it would be if our GUI was navigateable by arrow keys or tab (moving focus between buttons) and return (to select the focused item). That would be tremendously useful for console ports, which usually have no mouse, but a D-pad.

I'll try to find some time tomorrow or during the weekend to write a proper reply, but maybe it won't be necessary if everybody else writes a nice reply ;).