[Scummvm-devel] Switching to Git

Marcus Comstedt marcus at mc.pp.se
Sat Aug 7 22:48:26 CEST 2010

Eugene Sandulenko <sev at scummvm.org> writes:

> OK, sounds reasonable, I just did not consider this possibility. So
> you're saying that the commit history at that branch will still stay?
> If so, then it is what is needed.

Git does not track the commit history of branches at all, only of
commits.  A branch in git is just a pointer to one commit (like a
tag, except that it moves automatically when making new commits).  You
have no way of finding out on which branch a commit was initially
made, nor what branches existed before now or what they looked like.
(Yes, there is the reflog which tracks what the branches contained
 before, but it is a temporary local thing which is not pushed, and
 which is pruned by the gc.  It's mostly intended for disaster
 recovery if you manage to fudge one of your local branches.)

This is a big difference from svn, which keeps the set of branches
fully version controlled, and systems like bzr which at least makes a
note in the commit object which branch it was made on.

  // Marcus