[Scummvm-devel] BSD and similar licenses in ScummVM

Torbjörn Andersson eriktorbjorn at telia.com
Mon Aug 9 16:46:06 CEST 2010

Hi,

I noticed that there are a couple of files in
backends/platform/ds/arm9/source/fat/ which appear to be under the BSD
license. This shouldn't be a problem in itself, except that as far as I
could tell we weren't complying with this paragraph:

    2.  Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
        copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
        disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials
        provided with the distribution.

After discussing with Eugene I've added a COPYING.BSD file to collect
all BSD and BSD-like licenses, and added it to DIST_FILES_DOCS in
Makefile.common. I don't know how other ports deal with including the
license files, so there may be other places where this has to be updated.

It does, of course, state clearly that the licenses only apply to parts
of ScummVM, but if anyone feels it should be handled differently there's
still plenty of time to change it.

So far, it contains the license for parts of the Nintendo DS port, and
the license for parts of the MPEG decoder (which we currently don't use,
and which doesn't explicitly say anything about binary redistribution,
but it seemed like the polite thing to do).

Can anyone think of any others that should be added to it?

Torbjörn Andersson