[Scummvm-devel] Decompiler: Documentation feedback

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Aug 11 16:54:27 CEST 2010

Hi there,

some more feedback:

* In 3.4, after consulting the source code, it seems to me that _addressBase should be in SimpleDisassembler, not Disassembler, if at all.

* In 3.4, do we really need to document _disassemblyDone at all? It seems like an internal implementation detail to me (In fact, I'd consider making it 'private'). Instead, I'd change the documentation for disassemble() to more explicitly mention that it will call doDisassemble(), but caches the result, so if called again it uses the cached data. Hence doDisassemble() is called at most once.

* In 3.5.4, in the example it says
	OPCODE_MD(0x14, "add", kBinaryOp, -1, "", "}");
Why the "}" and not a "+" ? If it is on purpose, there should be an explanation.

* In 4.2, it says literally "stack effect >= 0". I'd rewrite this as either "non-negative stack effect", or (less preferable) "stack effect $\geq 0$".

* In 5.5, you explain that 0xC0 is handled in a special way. It should be made explicit that this simply means that processInst is invoked (resp. that the instruction will be treated as described under "Other types", regardless of its type).

* Related to this, the processInst doxygen comment is rather fuzzy. It should at least give a brief overview of where it is called, and when / for which instructions (kind of a 2-3 line summary of section 5.5).  It would

Bye,